Friday, June 4, 2010

My Dad's Retirement

Well, it's official. Yesterday was my dad's last day to teach, in public school at least. As of last Friday, he has decided to retire from coaching/teaching and he accepted the position at our church, Bannockburn Baptist Church, as the PE teacher at our new christian school and he will also be directing the Upwards Basketball Program and other recreational activities at the church. This also means that my parents are moving to AUSTIN! :) Woohoo! I am so happy! It is crazy how God worked this out. My parents were wanting to move to this area to be near both of their kids and their new grandson, but they didn't know how that would happen. Today was my dad's first year to qualify for retirement, so he will be retiring and then earning a little additional income at the school/church. It's a part-time position, and he will only have to work 2 days a week most weeks, so it's a win-win situation for him! Praise the Lord that this worked out the way it did, we are so excited to have parents/grandparents nearby now!

While we are rejoicing in what God is doing in this situation, please pray for a few things:
1. That my parent's house in Silsbee will sell quickly
2. That my mom can find a part-time job in Austin
3. All of the details work out with moving, etc.
4. Family and friends in Southeast Texas that they will be leaving
5. My parents to make wise decisions on where to live in Austin, etc.

The local news in Beaumont did a little story on my dad's retirement. It's only about 30-seconds long, but here's the link. You'll have to fast-forward to 4:20 in the segment to see the piece on my dad, unless you want to watch local Southeast Texas sports, haha. :)


*I couldn't post the video, but I did post the link here

2 comments:

Andy and Claire said...

I AM SO EXCITED!!! NOW we have to do playdates or lunch sometime! Hopefully I will see you next week at the tournament!

Unknown said...

What a blessing!! I bet you and your parents are so very excited!!!!! Praying for all of your requests!